I am often asked where to buy the outfits for a boudoir photography session. While there are many places to shop, there are a few that I especially like.
But before I list them, it’s important to know your sizes if you are going to order online instead of entering a brick and mortar store. Of course, trying things on ahead of a purchase eliminates the back and forth of having to return items because they are too small or too big. But most companies have a fabulous return policy, giving you the option to send something back to get a different size.
With all women, I want to know what your shape and size is to help you find the outfits that will suit you best.
1. If your breasts are smaller, you will want to ensure that any bras that you chose are “push up” to give you your best cleavage.
2. If your girls are larger, you will want to ensure that all of your outfits have built in support.
3. If you have shorter legs, you will want your undies to be high cut on the hip – giving you the illusion of longer legs. And you may want to bring a pair of nude heels because they will also make your legs look longer.
4. If you have tummy scar, that can often be removed in post processing of your images.
5. But if you carry extra weight in your middle, and if your tummy is your least favorite body part; these options will give you sexy boudoir pictures that you will adore. The first item for this issue is a pair of black, high waisted undies. Don’t think granny panties. I am talking about panties that are high cut in the hip and higher in the waist also. Think retro. If you take a look around online, they are very in fashion currently and they are perfect for anyone who isn’t really in love with her mid section at the moment. Another item that works great for the clients who struggle with tummy issues is the bodysuit. Both lingerie bodysuits and regular clothing bodysuits are all the rage. And oh my goodness, they make EVERYONE look AHmazing! When a client shows up with a bodysuit, I am always very happy! The third outfit item that helps anyone who feels insecure about her tummy is a corset. We can tighten those babies up, and give you more of an hourglass. They can sometimes flatten a gal’s chest, so sometimes a lady will pair a black bra with a corset. Or even better, pick up a waist cincher which looks like a corset but goes right under the bra line.
6. Thigh highs look great, but will not be your friend if they are too tight on the thigh. I recommend getting one or two sizes larger than you would normally choose. And again, if you want your legs to look longer you may wish to purchase fish net hose that go all the way to the waist – and pair them with a pair of undies on top of the hose instead.
7. While many outfits come with a teensy, tiny thong panty; please be aware of the fact that those thin elastic lines can bury themselves in your skin no matter what your size is. If you are going to model a thong, make sure that is has some fabric or lace material all the way around it.
8. Currently, 50 Shades of Grey has given rise to outfits with all kinds of extra straps. If you are buying lingerie of this type, be sure that the straps are not sinking into your skin creating many bulges.
9. Baby doll items that have an empire waistline usually make a gal look more square and add weight to the torso area, so I don’t recommend a baby doll outfit.
With all outfits, fit is important. It cannot be too small, and won’t look great if it’s too big either. So make sure that you try everything on before your session, to ensure that you will have great choices on the day of your shoot.
While I do have a nice selection of high heels at the studio, and even a limited jewelry collection; you are always welcome to bring your own.
Besides Victoria Secret and La Senza at the mall, here is a list of some of my favorite places to online shop:
hips and curves | www.hipsandcurves.com
honey birdette | www.honeybirdette.com (This one may be my favorite!)
true&co. | www.trueandco.com
adore me | www.adoreme.com (Affordable sets in the VIP program)
yandy | www.yandy.com
boohoo | www.boohoo.com (Very affordable bodysuits!)
torrid | www.torrid.com (They have stores in Cbus area – sizes 10-30)
forever 21 | www.forever21.com
bhldn | www.bhldn.com (lots of lace and more romantic feel)
free people | www.freepeople.com
bare necessities | www.barenecessities.com
agent provocateaur | www.agentprovocateur.com (Luxury brand)
Before you head off to shop for your boudoir outfits, here is a recent shoot from one of my amazing clients. While I cannot share her gorgeous face, I am delighted to show off the wonderful bodysuit that she brought to her session. I loved how it had a built in bra. Thanks Mrs. G for allowing me to share!
To book your very own intimate portrait boudoir photography session, Contact Us Here!